Monday 4 July 2016

Component of innovative I-beam

The modified I-beam has been shown in Figure 1. Refer to the figure, it shows that the modified I-beam is divided in to three parts with a circular rod at the center. The modified I-beam is mimicking the mechanical structure of carapace. The carapace arrange in the form of rib-suture-rib where rib is connected to the flexible suture sites. As you can see, the rigid alloy steel plate is separated by a silicon rubber rod at the center. Silicon rubber is chose as the major material to construct the rod to mimic the suture-alike structure with a similar flexibility and impact resistance in terms of this Yong's Modulus and Yield Strength. In addition, silicon also make the I-beam more resistant toward fatigue loading which expand the lifetime of the I-beam. This modified I-beam adapt the biological concept from turtle shell with a relatively low cost to manufacture. Further studies on the application of modified I-beam and the mechanical performance of I-beam can be found the the following posts.
Stay Tune !!!!!

Figure 1. 3-dimensional view of the modified wide-flange (W) shape I-beam. 


Figure 2. A actual view of commercial wide-flange (W) shape I-beam that designed according to ASTM standard 


No comments:

Post a Comment